1. When did you move to Scotland?
I moved to Scotland from Portugal in January 2015, almost one year ago. I got a job out with
construction to begin with to help improve my English and then I secured a construction position
through Contract Scotland in July 2015.
2. What is it like living in Scotland?
I like living here. It is a beautiful country with interesting traditions and the people in general are
3. Is it what you had been expecting? If not, What hadn’t you expected?
Yes it is. I had visited before for a holiday so I knew the country before I moved.
4. How easy was it to find accommodation?
In Edinburgh, it depends on what you are looking for but I did not find it very easy, Edinburgh is the
capital and there are a lot of people looking for accommodation.
5. How does the cost of living compare to Portugal?
The cost of living is higher but there is not a huge difference and the salaries are much better.
6. Did you relocate alone or with family?
I came here alone.
7. Either way, how has this affected your experience?
It would be easier if you have some support from family or friends. In my case I don’t have family here
but I have friends and that helps.
8. What has been the most positive experience to date?
The Scottish people are very approachable, this is also the case in the workplace.
9. How long did the full process take of relocating?
Every case is different however the more research done before moving the easier it is to start.
10. What was your experience of sourcing a job before working with Contract Scotland?
I had less interview opportunities before working with Contract Scotland. After meeting with Contract
Scotland I had 3 interview opportunities, 1 of which led to my current position.
11. Did you try to source a job before relocating to Scotland or did you wait until you arrived here?
Yes, I tried before unsuccessfully so I moved without a job.
12. What does your role involve?
At the moment I am giving support to the estimating team in a construction company.
13. When you started with the employer Contract Scotland placed you with, can you describe how you settled into working with a UK company?
It requires some time to adapt. The language (accent) is not so easy to understand. And the way of
working is also different. It is not difficult but it demands time.
14. What difficulties did you come across and how have you addressed them?
The major difficulties are to understand the Scottish accent. I need to practice in a variety of ways...
And the weather is a challenge.
15. Was there anything you felt you were already familiar with due to your studies?
Yes, there are things related to my role that I was already familiar with.